Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Secretary Duncan: Cheerleader for the LA Times

I have started to write this post several times. A few of those times, I began trying to write a well-written reasoned argument to what's wrong with the LA Times releasing test scores of individual teachers, but others say it much better that I could. Larry Ferlazzo does a great job tracking all the posts on the Internet focusing on this issue. There are also those who do a much better job at pointing out the foibles and foolishness of Secretary of Education Arne Duncan. Bill Ferriter over at the Tempered Radical probably describes it best: "Arne Duncan Is Just Plain Clueless." What can I add to the discussion? Maybe not a great deal, but I went back to take a look at posts I have made concerning Secretary Duncan, and I have always thought he was a light-weight who has never had an original idea he could call his own. His reforms will do irreversible damage to public education, and it is his fault that the national dialogue has become so nasty regarding education in general and teaching in particular. Just for the fun of it, I thought I would share all my previous posts about the man of our ridicule.

Arne Duncan's Quiet Revolution: The Duncanization of the Great American School System

Secretary Duncan's Video to Principals: You Judge the Message

Taking Back the Reform Conversation from the Politicians

Lack of Support for Race to the Top Does Not Mean Lack of Support for Reform

Reflections on Winners and Losers for the Race to the Top Funding

Callousness of the Obama Administration and Mal-Practice of Secretary Arne Duncan

Race to the Top: Four More Years of NCLB Education Policy ??? Thank You Mr. Duncan!

So, I think it's obvious I'm no fan of Secretary Duncan. Perhaps I've said all I can say about him. I'm not sure. But I do think he's probably severed any good will he might have had left with his enthusiastic support of the LA Times. I wonder if I could nominate him for Keith Olbermann's Worst Person in the World?

No comments:

Post a Comment