Friday, August 13, 2010

Google Moderator: An Easy Solution Idea Gathering and Discussion Generator for Administrators

Today I stumbled across a blog post from Instructify that described Google Moderator. I must confess, I had not heard much about it until I read that post here. I was intrigued enough to give it a try. I went to the Google Moderator page and created what it calls a “Series” on New Technology Use Ideas for the 2010-2011 School Year.” I sent invitations to my teachers, and bingo, it is up and running. This tool is bare-bones, but it is extremely easy to set up and use. I would encourage administrators who have a need for a technology tool that encourages sharing of ideas and fostering discussion to check out Google Moderator. Below is a video from YouTube about how to set it up. By the way, it looks to have some promise for the classroom too.

image

Main Screen in Google Moderator


 


Access Google Moderator here: http://www.google.com/moderator

2 comments:

  1. I also came across the Moderator information via Instructify and have been in the process of trying to put it to use. My question is simple...If I wish to get ideas, suggestions, etc. from others, must they have a Google account? Without a Google account, can someone make contributions to Moderator?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the instructions from Google's help site for Moderator, it says that anyone can submit a questions, ideas, or suggestions. It says nothing about whether users have to have a Google account. It just so happens our system uses Google Apps, so all our school system employees have accounts. I do know you must have a Google account to set up a series (or discussion topic). You can then invite people to the discussion with emails.

    ReplyDelete