Saturday, September 14, 2024

Developing a Thoreauvian Skepticism to Blind Trust in Technological Solutions

 "The terrible lethality of machinery is one problem; the more banal daily drain of technology is another. A faceless and amoral machine comes to us as incessant robocalls, spam emails, algorithmically optimized ads, brainless 'customer service' chatbots, automatic fees, and leaks of private records." p. 67, John Kaag & Jonathan Van Belle, Henry at Work: Thoreau on Making a Living

Thoreau in Walden, made clear repeatedly that our "inventions" or technologies do not always represent a better means for carrying out a task. Today, the technology industry's marketing departments have worked overtime to convince us that their products are a "must-have" and that they always provide a "better way of doing things." But is that always true? Who really desires to be accosted by the "faceless and amoral machine" that replaces a friendly voice or a smile?

This particular technology problem is clearly illustrated by my own recent visit to a local car dealership for a scheduled service call. I'll admit up front that I liked the ability to make the service appointment through their app. It was easy. I simply selected a date and time and submitted it. There was no need to call the dealership, navigate through automated menus until I spoke to a living person. This "Say 'Customer Service' or "Press 1" process is undoubtedly the most miserable electronic process one can experience when trying to speak with a company representative. It might be efficient, but it makes the customer miserable.

On the day of my service appointment, I arrived, got checked in and my car was taken back to the garage. I settled in the waiting area and sat reading a book, waiting until the service was done. As is my habit, I set my phone down beside me. I do not have any beeping and chirping notifications turned on because I loathe that constant intrusion into my solitude. I also do not, purposefully, constantly check to see if I have notifications, messages, texts, etc. I check those when I decide to check them. 

Later, the service rep walked out into the lobby and informed me that my car was ready. I followed her back the garage, and checked out. I left the dealership and went to a local bookstore and browsed for a while. While in the bookstore, I checked my phone, and I saw a text message from the dealership. I opened that message, and the service department I had just left, had sent me a text message with suggested service items WHILE I SAT IN THEIR WAITING AREA. In other words, instead of briefing me on these suggested service items when I was there in person, they texted them to me. Why not walk into your own waiting area and speak to me directly? Ultimately, the dealership lost out on additional revenue because I would have chosen to have those additional service items done. This was entirely due to the reliance on technology being a better means to deliver these service recommendations to the customer.

As long as we continue to rely on technology because it is more convenient or efficient without considering the human element in our social transactions, we are always in danger of losing in the end. The dealership in this instance lost additional sales. Technology does not always offer the best solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment