Tuesday, October 12, 2010

KeePass: Solution for Remembering Multiple Passwords

 

KeePass Idea Update

Thanks to twitter follower @newfirewithin for an additional thought about using KeePass. Sometimes we are too close to the ideas to see it, but he suggested storing the KeePass data file in Dropbox, so that it would be available to any computers linked with this file. I’m just a bit squirmy about the security, but might be a great way to ensure that your KeePass password safe is accessible anywhere. Great Idea.

 

 

One of the most difficult problems I have faced as an administrator, is finding a way to remember all the user names and passwords I receive for all of the web services our school system uses. There’s the student database, test score database, teacher evaluation instrument, and countless other web applications that I have to use during the course of my day. Every one of these often requires a different username and a different password. There are also those I only access once or twice and year, and remembering those is even more difficult. It certainly is not good security practice to use the same password for each site, but it is frustrating trying to remember these usernames and passwords.

That’s where KeePass, the open-source password safe software comes in. It allows me to store my usernames and passwords in a single program, that requires only one password. It will also has some other interesting features as well. These other features include:

  • Ability to store a URL with the site username and password
  • Password quality meter
  • Place to enter notes
  • Ability to set an expiration date and time
  • Ability to allow program to auto-type your password and username
  • Ability to use multiple groups of usernames and passwords
  • Ability to make it portable to your flashdrive

It is an excellent open source solution for keeping track of all those usernames and passwords.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

KeePass Main User Screen

To download or get more information about KeePass, check our their web site here.

For those with smart phones, you can download a version for most phone operating systems. I use the Android version, and it has made accessing my usernames and passwords even easier. KeePass is one of those must have open source programs.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I'm honored to be mentioned on your blog. Thanks!

    I can't take total credit for the idea. I got it from a Lifehacker article on passwords.

    I'm also a bit squirmy when it comes to online data. This is what Dropbox says on its site:

    - All transmission of file data and metadata occurs over an encrypted channel (SSL).
    - All files stored on Dropbox servers are encrypted (AES-256) and are inaccessible without your account password.
    - Dropbox employees are not able to view any user's files.

    Combined with the fact that the KeePass file is also encryped, I feel pretty safe.

    Happy syncing!

    - @newfirewithin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks anyway for the idea and the information about Dropbox's security. I follow the folks at LikeHacker as well, and have purchased the two books they've published.

    ReplyDelete