Tuesday, October 19, 2010

5 Must Have Android Apps

For two months now, I have been exploring the use of my Droid 2 phone, and testing applications. I think that is the key to making a smartphone useful is finding those applications that allow you do what you want to be able to do. That’s a no-brainer. Here’s my current shortlist of applications.

Dropbox

At the current time, I live out of my Dropbox folder. This has to be one of the most versatile applications yet. I have it installed on my work computer and my personal laptop, and being able to save my work to this folder, and have it available on my other computers is amazing. I haven’t even begun to fully test the sharing capabilities, but as a tool to make sure my most useful files are accessible anytime, this program makes that happen. Now that I’ve installed Dropbox on my Droid 2, I can even view files anywhere I go. If I’m in a meeting and I need to look at a letter I typed earlier, I have access to it immediately. For more information about the PC version, check their Web Site here. There are versions of Dropbox for the iPhone, iPad, Android, and Blackberry. For information about Dropbox for these devices, check the Web Site here.

Quickoffice

Quickoffice is highly useful application that allows me to access MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and PDF documents using my Android. I can also create, edit, and view documents created by the popular MS Office Suite. While I am increasingly using Google Docs, I still have a great deal of documents in those formats. By having this application on my Droid, along with Dropbox, I have instant access to my documents. For more information about Quickoffice, check their Web Site.

KeePass

I have used KeePass on my desktop and laptop for quite some time. It allows me to store all my passwords and usernames in one application. The PC versions have proved their utility often. Now that I have installed the Droid version on my smartphone, I have made it possible to access my usernames and passwords any where. By keeping the KeePass data file in my Dropbox folder, it is always synced and ready to go. KeePass is available for the iPhone, Blackberry, Palm OS, J2ME, and other smart devices. For more information about KeePass, check here.

Blogger-Droid

The Blogger-droid app is one that I have downloaded and started using recently. With this application I am able to post to my blog directly from my Droid phone. You can also upload pictures and video clips as well. While this app is not very elaborate, it provides a simple means to access my blog. Here’s more information about Blogger-droid from Mash App’s description. On this site you can also access the app with your barcode scanner program.

Tweetdeck Beta Preview

Recently, I downloaded Tweetdeck’s Beta Preview for Android. Tweetdeck for the desktop is my favorite Twitter client. Naturally, I was interested in the Android version. I downloaded it last weekend, and I have to say, it is also my favorite Twitter client for my Droid 2. It is easy to use, and I have easy access to mentions, direct messages, and searches. For information on getting the Tweetdeck Beta Preview for the Android phone, see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment