I received an email telling me that Amazon was offering its Prime Members its Echo Dot for less than $35. I had seen the commercials, and certainly was fascinated with the device, so I broke down and purchased it.
After a day of experimenting with it, I actually enjoy the device. Being able to say “Alexa, play some James Taylor” and then his music magically starts playing through my bluetooth speaker is fantastic. I’ll admit I am a bit smitten by the technology, but it does have some interesting features. It’s easy to set up as well. Here’s some of the positives I’ve found:
- Connects to a bluetooth speaker, so my Bose Soundlink Mini sounds fantastic.
- Instant, or darn near instant access to any music.
- Has a “News Flash” feature that allows “Alexa” to read the news update to you.
- With my Amazon Fire I can get weather updates too.
- I can listen to Pandora channels with an easy request from “Alexa."
- Haven’t tried the “Jeopardy” game but is was recommended by a friend.
I’m just learning the device, but I can see what Apple is scrambling to catch up with Amazon and Google with these kinds of devices.
How else can I get the ability to command James Taylor's music to appear?