- Ending social promotion for 3rd graders who can't demonstrate they can read based on state adopted reading tests.
- Add "intensive reading instruction" for students struggling to read.
- Grade schools as A, B, C, D, or F based on test scores.
- Add a North Carolina Teacher Corps program, modeled after Teach for America, that would allow recent college graduates and mid-career professionals teach in low-performing schools.
- Pay teachers based on merit as determined by test scores?
- End teacher tenure and have teacher sign a contract for employment each year.
- Provide funding for the instructional days that the General Assembly added last year but did not fund.
- Allow state employees to volunteer in a public literacy program for up to five hours per month.
Here's some links for more information on this education reform plan.
I will comment more on this reform package after I have had time to look through the legislation.