Saturday, June 26, 2010

Mind Mapping Software for 21st Century Administrators

There are several mindmapping products out there, and I have previously reviewed one particular software solution called Inspiration. I have personally used several products, and each on has its advantages.

Freemind

Freemind is an open source mindmapping solution and as far as open source solutions go, it is a solid mindmapping solution. Its interface is fairly simple to use but I have found some things about it just a bit quirky and it does not create elaborate mindmaps as other products do.

image

Freemind Screenshot

I have personally found that Freemind is not one of the simplest mindmapping tools to use. It’s advantage is its cost. For further information about Freemind see here.

Mindjet Mindmanager

This is a commercial mindmapping product that has a great deal of functionality. It has a number of templates, converts to outline forms, and can even be used for presentations. As a presentation tool alternative to PowerPoint, this is a solid product. It is easy to learn to use as well. I am currently using Mindmanager 7, but Mindjet now as a version 8 that I have not gotten around to purchasing, but I plan to do so. You can even download a trial version, and the company does offer academic versions. For more information about Mindjet Mindmanager see here.

image

Mindjet Mindmanager Screenshot

Xmind

Xmind offers a free version of its software for download. It is a much easier to use mindmapping tool than either Freemind or Mindmanager. It does not have all the features found in Mindmanager, but it has a great deal more features than Freemind. There are templates to guide your map design. You can choose design features like map format, lines used, icons, and even the type of background to use. For $49 you can upgrade Xmind to Pro and add addtional features like presentation mode, adding audio notes, and many other features. This is one of my personal favorite mindmapping tools due to its ease of use, presentation features, and the ability to upload your maps to Xmind web with subscription. For more information and to download Xmind’s software see here.

image

Xmind Screenshot

Inspiration 9

It is very difficult to avoid listing Inspiration 9 when talking about mindmapping software. Educators have been familiar with this tool for quite some time, and it is a standard productivity tool with a number of educators. It is also an excellent tool for administrators as well. It’s ability to create maps, outlines, and now even presentations makes it a highly useful mindmapping tool for administrators. I have reviewed this software before, so I won’t get into great detail, but it is a product well worth the less-than-one hundred dollar selling price. For more information and a free trial download, see here.

image

Inspiration 9 Screenshot

Product Comparison

If I were going to rank these products in ease of use I would rank them in the following manner:

  1. Inspiration 9
  2. Xmind
  3. Mindmanager
  4. Freemind

If I were going to rank them according to how useful I have found them as an administrator, I would rank them in the following manner:

  1. Inspiration 9
  2. Xmind
  3. Mindmanager
  4. Freemind

When considering all of their additional features , I would rank them:

  1. Inspiration 9
  2. Mindmanager
  3. Xmind
  4. Freemind

As you can see, Inspiration 9 is my personal favorite when it comes to mindmapping, but Xmind is a close second.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your post. I have been using mind mapping tools for years now and find them to be indespensible for the work that I do. I am a professor of education and teach all of my students how to use Inspiration in the classroom with their students. I like yourself believe that mind ampping tools are a great application for busy school administrators to handle agendas, projects, and for brainstorming. Check out my blog I have been reviewing mind mapping applications for several years and would enjoy your feedback. I am now mind mapping on my iPad with iThoughtsHD.

    Regards
    Brian

    http://assistivetek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete